Friday, July 22, 2011

Amish Breakfast Casserole

I tried a recipe from the Amish Cookbook I got for Christmas. It turned FANTASTIC! I made some variations so I will give you the recipe how it is in the book and put my variations in parenthesis on the side.

I couldn't wait to taste it!
Amish Breakfast Casserole
1 lb bacon, cut up (I used ham about 2c)
1 onion, chopped (I used onion flakes 3tbsp)
6 eggs, beaten
4 cups shredded hash browns, thawed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I used mozzarella)

In a large skillet, brown the bacon and onion, stirring, until bacon is crispy. Drain. (since I used ham and onion flakes, I skipped this step)

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients and then stir in bacon (or ham) mixture. Transfer to a greased rectangular baking dish and bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until eggs are set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

I liked it so well with ham I will probably always use ham. I put this recipe into my Weight Watchers Recipe Builder and using fat free cottage cheese, but regular shredded cheeses, it is only 4 points plus per serving. I got 20 servings.

I am not much of an egg fan at all and although you could see the egg you couldn't taste it at all. It basically tasted like a cheesy hash brown ham thing. SO good, I will definitely make this again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers