Friday, January 13, 2012

Frugal Friday...Exfoliating/Moisturizing "Mud" Scrub

Every winter my skin gets even drier than it's already very dry state. I used to pay over $5 a bottle for that "in-shower" body lotion that you use after your body wash. It seemed to be the only thing that worked to remotely control my dry skin. Buying a bottle a month of that really adds up, plus I'm not exactly thrilled with putting all of those chemicals on my skin. That's why I love sugar scrubs! They exfoliate, moisturize, are 100 % natural, are very inexpensive and can be made in a variety of scents. You may remember my first sugar scrub, I've been out of that for quite awhile and the winter is really starting to take it's toll on my skin. I was very excited when I came across another sugar scrub recipe to make. It looks like mud, hence the name.

"Mud" Scrub
1 C. Sugar
5 Tbsp Coffee Grounds
1/4 C. Oil*
1 tsp Peppermint Extract**
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Mix the sugar and coffee. Add oil to coat the dry ingredients, then add extracts.


*I made it at first with 1/4c oil and found that after the first day it was too dry, so I added more oil. You can add oil or sugar/coffee to make it more or less dry.

**I didn't have peppermint extract so I just used vanilla.

Just rub a bit over your body while your in the shower and rinse. I use mine after my body wash, right before I get out and pat dry, so I don't rub off all the oil. Try not get water in mix as the mix of oil and water will spoil.

This smells so good first thing in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers