Friday, March 25, 2011

Frugal Friday - Homemade Lemon Sugar Scrub

Today's edition of Frugal Friday features a Homemade Lemon Sugar Scrub I made last weekend and have been using all week! I found this recipe on www.TipNut.com. The recipe is so simple you cannot mess it up and it leaves your skin feeling so soft! You can pay good money for similar products, but why when you can make it for pennies?! There are other recipes and I plan to try them also so if you like the whole sugar scrub experience stay tuned! Ok that's enough yakking on to the recipe...

Lemon Sugar Scrub
1 cup granulated white sugar(I used brown sugar because it was all I had)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp Lemon Zest

Simply mix everything together. I did find it to be very oily and ended up adding about twice the amount of sugar. Not sure if that had anything to do with using brown sugar instead of white or not. I did think the brown sugar gave it kind of a darker scent and the white sugar would be much lighter! I do intend to make it with white sugar next time.

Now that you know how to make it you need to know how to use it. Just scoop some onto your hands and rub together for several seconds, before rinsing with water. Pat dry and enjoy the soft feel of your skin. I have been taking this into the shower or bath with me and scooping out about 2 Tbsp and rubbing it over my whole body and then rinsing as an all over exfoliating moisturizer! Just make sure you don't get water into the unused portion as that could lead to bacteria growth!

This recipe doesn't really have a very long shelf life, it only lasts a few weeks. So its best to make small batches more often rather than a large batch. I ended up splitting the recipe with a friend and with using it all week still have plenty left. When I do run out I plan to try a different recipe and I'll let you know how and what it is. If you have any recipes you like please share them with me, I'd love to try them out!

Happy Scrubbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers