Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Update on Kanaan!

Here's an update on what's been going on with Kanaan and I the last few weeks.

On 7/1/13 we had another ultrasound to check Kanaan's fluid. It was at 2.5cm still and he had moved to head down. They also started checking my blood sugars. When I got here they did the 1 hour glucose screening test for Gestational Diabetes and I failed it. That doesn't necessarily mean that I have Gestational Diabetes, and the next course of action would be to do the 3 hour test. However, they didn't want to wait to give me the betamethasone, which is the steroid shot they give any mothers who are at risk for delivering early. The betamethasone helps lungs to mature, it will not help Kanaan's lungs if they are not developed because of the low fluid, but if they are developed it will help them mature if he has to be born early. Anyway the steroid makes blood sugar high so they decided to wait a few weeks before testing my sugars again, so they wouldn't treat me with Gestational Diabetes if I didn't actually have it. So they started testing the sugars again they were a bit high so they put me on the controlled carb diet. That helped for a few meals then there was a couple more high counts so I started on an oral medication. That helped after the first dose, but my sugar was high after the second dose, so they put me on some slow acting insulin. That helped for a few meals then they started the fast acting insulin as well. So I'm currently on 1 shot of slow acting insulin in the morning and again at night, and 1 shot of fast acting insulin right before each meal. They also test my blood sugar early in the morning, and then 2 hours after I eat.

On 7/9/13 I had another ultrasound the amniotic fluid was up to 2.7 and Kanaan was back to breech. I'm hoping that at some point he will flip back to head down. The doctor said that if Kanaan's heart rate stays ok and he flips head down they will induce me at 39 weeks and I won't have to have a c-section. I'm really hoping that I don't have to have a c-section.

His heart rate is continuing to look great on the monitors!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers